Milestones

  • Ms Paiva Couceiro and Ms Collette Galby  (DHMs) came with a Mission to Bombay (now Mumbai) in 1952.
  • Ms Paiva Couceiro and Ms Collette Galby  established the School of Social Work (now College of Social Work), Nirmala Niketan in 1955
  • In 1956, Ms. Agnes Comerford, a trained social worker from Fordham University took over as Director of the School of Social Work. She develops a one-year curriculum in social service.
  • Kumbarwada Community Development Project began as the institute's first field action/ extension program
  • In July 1958, Ms. Dorothy Baker, also a graduate from Fordham University took over as Director
  • Till 1965, the school offered a Diploma in Social Service.
  • In 1965, the school became a recognized institution of the University of Bombay and the graduating batch of 1967 was awarded a post-graduate diploma in social work by the University of Mumbai
  • In 1969 the ‘School of Social Work’ was renamed as the ‘College of Social Work’ in accordance with the practice existing in the university system
  • The 1969-1971 batch of students became from first group to be awarded a Master’s degree in Social Work
  • In 1971, the school started a Bachelors of Social Work degree program under the University of Mumbai.
  • In 1984 the college started the peer reviewed journal titled ‘Perspectives in Social Work’
  • In 1989, the Audio-Visual Unit was set up
  • The Research Unit was set up in 1993 
  • Extension Centre was set up in Goregoan in 1994
  • The college started a doctoral programme in social work in 1997
  • The college got minority institution status in 1995
  • 2001 was a momentous year in the life span of the college. It got a five star rating from NAAC which boosted the morale of the students, faculty members, support staff and well-wishers.
  • The golden jubilee of the college was celebrated in 2004
  • In 2005  the Short Term unit was set up at the Churchgate center
  • In 2005-2006, the college established a  Dorothy Baker Chair for Peace and Development 
  • In 2007, NAAC reaccredited the college with A+ rating
  • In 2015, the college underwent the 3rd cycle NAAC reaccreditation and received A grade
  • On 12th February 2019, the University Grants Commission conferred Autonomous Status to the College for a period of 10 years 
  • Ms Paiva Couceiro and Ms Collette Galby  (DHMs) came with a Mission to Bombay (now Mumbai) in 1952.
  • Ms Paiva Couceiro and Ms Collette Galby  established the School of Social Work (now College of Social Work), Nirmala Niketan in 1955
  • In 1956, Ms. Agnes Comerford, a trained social worker from Fordham University took over as Director of the School of Social Work. She develops a one-year curriculum in social service.
  • Kumbarwada Community Development Project began as the institute's first field action/ extension program
  • In July 1958, Ms. Dorothy Baker, also a graduate from Fordham University took over as Director
  • Till 1965, the school offered a Diploma in Social Service.
  • In 1965, the school became a recognized institution of the University of Bombay and the graduating batch of 1967 was awarded a post-graduate diploma in social work by the University of Mumbai
  • In 1969 the ‘School of Social Work’ was renamed as the ‘College of Social Work’ in accordance with the practice existing in the university system
  • The 1969-1971 batch of students became from first group to be awarded a Master’s degree in Social Work
  • In 1971, the school started a Bachelors of Social Work degree program under the University of Mumbai.
  • In 1984 the college started the peer reviewed journal titled ‘Perspectives in Social Work’
  • In 1989, the Audio-Visual Unit was set up
  • The Research Unit was set up in 1993 
  • Extension Centre was set up in Goregoan in 1994
  • The college started a doctoral programme in social work in 1997
  • The college got minority institution status in 1995
  • 2001 was a momentous year in the life span of the college. It got a five star rating from NAAC which boosted the morale of the students, faculty members, support staff and well-wishers.
  • The golden jubilee of the college was celebrated in 2004
  • In 2005  the Short Term unit was set up at the Churchgate center
  • In 2005-2006, the college established a  Dorothy Baker Chair for Peace and Development 
  • In 2007, NAAC reaccredited the college with A+ rating
  • In 2015, the college underwent the 3rd cycle NAAC reaccreditation and received A grade
  • On 12th February 2019, the University Grants Commission conferred Autonomous Status to the College for a period of 10 years